Sep 9, 2008

new developments...

... Team Astana denied the news of Lance joining the team for the 2009 season today.

Astana team press officer Philippe Maertens told the Associated Press: "He is not part of our team. Team Astana has no plans with him."

However, this seems to be old news just a few hours later:

"I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden," the 36-year-old Armstrong said in a statement released to The Associated Press. "This year alone, nearly eight million people will die of cancer worldwide. ... It's now time to address cancer on a global level."

This seems to be sending out mixed signals to the people who were trying to get a group organized in Europe to support the LIVESTRONG Army. I guess it means raising awareness on a different level, promoting the brand, etc.

It will be interesting to see how the Tour de France organizers, who banned Team Astana from the TdF last year because of doping allegations (not proof), will react to this new developent.

No comments: