Oct 19, 2007

Everything I hoped it would be and then some...


Okay, I'm back from Austin, and still a little jet-lagged, but really happy.

I had the most wonderful time in Austin- the weather was great (hey, now that I'm back it's starting to freeze in Germany, so my tan will be gone in no time, oh well), I got to meet some really amazing people, many of them cancer survivors, a lot of them involved in fundraising activities benefiting the LAF, some of them mentees from Europe, other fellow volunteer mentors from the US and Canada, LAF staff and friends.

I'll tell you all about the weekend in the next few days but I thought I should probably post my photos, so you can get some impressions in case you didn't make it to Austin this year!

2007 Livestrong Challenge- Austin, TX


Oh, and Kate, I'm so sorry I didn't get to call you. Somehow my phone acted up and then the ride was there and things got a little hectic. But I didn't forget you and honestly hope we'll get to meet some day, maybe at next year's Challenge?! Thanks again for all you did and still do fighting against cancer!!

Oh, and I thought you might like to know, that I included you in the Challenge- take a look (sorry, I didn't get more names on the card):


6 comments:

Amanda said...

It was amazing to meet you, and I hope we can do it again next year! I posted a few photos in my blog, but I'll probably add some more now that Mom has sent me hers as well. Can't wait till next year!

Obsessedwithlife said...

That's awesome that you got to come over to TX for the LiveStrong Challenge! Were you at the Summit last year?? I was. Isn't Austin wonderful? I've been there 6 times, I think!

Henrike said...

No, I wasn't at the Summit. All I can afford is one trip, so it's lke my vacation for the year. I really love Austin. Such a great city... and it was my one shot at some warm weather and to get a tan!

Couldn't be happier and I hope I'll make it again next year- let's see if I can improve my fundraising total of this year ;-)

Brian Dowd said...

Henrike - I truly admire your dedication to the fight against cancer. It must be hard trying to raise money for the LAF in Germany, but you still raised over $1,300. That is outstanding given you live in Germany. You are an inspiration to all of us.

I was glad to see you had a great time. I looked for you, but never found you.

Keep you the great work! LIVESTRONG!

Brian Dowd - bdowd@teamdownone.com

Henrike said...

Hi Brian,

thank you so much for your kind words.

Yes, it is rather difficult to raise money in Germany or Europe in general, but this fight against cancer is so important to me, that I just keep going and don't get discouraged by setbacks or rude e-mails, which unfortunately are quite common.

You're quite the inspiration, yourself. I am truly amazed by your fundraising efforts and you're trip to the Ride for the Roses was well deserved. I looked for you, too, but didn't see you either- but then again, there's always next year, right? I can't believe I didn't see you during the Fundraising Appreciation Dinner on Saturday.

Last but not least, my sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your grandfather. Let's keep on fighting and kicking cancer's butt and thus honoring our loved ones that passed away by this terrible disease.

All the best,
Henrike.

Kate said...

Dear Henrike,

I know you were busy; no problem about the phone call (though I think we should DEFINITELY meet in person some time, yes?).

Thank you, THANK YOU so much for the inclusion of so many of my loved ones, those lost and two surviving! You brought me to tears; you can't imagine how much it means to me to see those names written by your hand and honoured in such a way.

And what a concept that this worthy endeavor brings people together Worldwide with hope and knowledge and strength.

You really are the best!
I can't wait to hear more about your experience,
Kate of Le monde de fromage de Kate